Social Security benefits can be confusing if you have ever been divorced. There are several important and unique issues that must be considered before filing a claim to collect Social Security benefits.
To help make the analysis easier, we have created the “Am I Eligible For Social Security Benefits If I Have Been Divorced?” flowchart. It addresses these common Social Security issues that arise for individuals who have experienced a divorce, including:
- How the length of a marriage affects eligibility
- Impact of multiple divorces
- How the time since the divorce occurred affects eligibility
- Age that benefits can be collected
- Possible reduction in benefits if collected before Full Retirement Age
- Impact of a remarriage